Wayanad district came into being on November 1, 1980 as the 12th district of Kerala. When the State of Kerala came into being in November 1956, Wayanad was part of Kannur district. Later, south Wayanad was added to Kozhikode district and north Wayanad to Kannur district. In order to fulfill the aspirations of the people of Wayanad, north Wayanad and south Wayanad were carved out and joined together to form the present district of Wayanad on November 1, 1980
Wayanad district is situated in an elevated picturesque mountainous plateau in Western Ghats. It lies between north latitude 11 degree 26’28’’ and 11 degree 48’22’’ and east longitude 75 degree 46’38’’ and 76 degree 26’11’’. Comprising an area of 2,132 sq. km, Wayanad has a cherished history and it is believed that organised human life existed in these parts at least ten centuries before Christian era.
The district has an area of 2131.8 sq.km, of which 837 sq.km (around 40 per cent) is forest land. 31 per cent of the ST population in the State is inhabited in the district. The demographic features of the district is shown in the Table
|Density of Population||383 per sq.km|
Source: Census 2011
The high altitude district is characterised by the cultivation of perennial plantation crops and spices. The major plantation crops include coffee, tea, pepper, cardamom and rubber. Coffee based farming system is a notable feature of Wayanad. Coffee is grown both as pure crop and as mixed crop along with pepper. Pepper is grown largely along with coffee in the north eastern parts of the district, especially in Pulpally and Mullankolly areas. The rice fields of Wayanad are in the valleys formed by hillocks and in majority of paddy lands, only a single crop is harvested. Ginger cultivation in Wayanad has also substantially increased in recent times and the ginger produced is mainly marketed in the form of green ginger. Homestead farming assumes importance in this district. The crops include coconut, areca nut, pepper, vegetables, tuber crops, drumstick, papaya, and fruit trees like mango and jack. 78 per cent of the area (67426 hectares) under coffee cultivation in the State is in Wayanad. Other major crops are coconut (10121 hectares), cardamom (4120 hectares), tea (8193 hectares) cassava and ginger(1456 hectares). Paddy is cultivated in 7265 hectares of land.
Details of MPs/MLA
Wayanad Lok Sabha constituency is formed from 15th LS. Till then Wayanad was the part of Kozhikode and Kannur Lok Sabha Constituency. Wayanad is the nodal district of the MP elected from the Wayanad Lok Sabha Constituency. Sri Rahul Gandhi represents the Lok Sabha constituency. Sri MV Shreyams Kumar, as Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha.
There are three Legislative Assembly constituencies in Wayanad district
- Kalpetta Assembly constituency represented by Sri C K Saseendran,
- Sulthan Bathery Assembly constituency by Sri I C Balakrishnan, and
- Mananthavady Assembly constituency by Sri O R Kelu.
|(a) Primary school||90||47||9||146|
|(b) Upper Primary schools||21||41||7||69|
|(c) High Schools||60||25||5||90|
|(d) Higher Secondary schools||36||20||5||61|
|(f) Technical Schools||2||-||-||2|
|(a) Arts and Science||2||4||10||16|
|(b) Engineering College||1||-||-||1|
|(c) Medical College||-||-||1||1|
|(d) Veterinary College||1||-||-||1|
|(e) Diary Science College||1||-||-||1|
|(f) Nursing College||1||-||3||4|
|(g) Pharmacy College||-||-||-||-|
|(h) Training College||-||3||3||6|
Premier Educational Institutions in Wayanad district
- The Kerala Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Pookode
- The Regional Agricultural Research Station, Ambalavayal
- The Institute of Tribal Studies and Research, Chethalayam, Sulthan Bathery.
- Government Engineering College, Mananthavady.
- NMSM Government College, Kalpetta
- St. Marys College, Sulthan Bathery
- Mary Matha Arts and Science College, Mananthavady
- Pazhassisraja College, Pulpally
- Krishna Mohan Memorial Government ITI Kalpetta
- Government ITI Chulliyode, Sulthan Bathery
- Government Polytechnic College, Meenengady
- Government Polytechnic College, Meppady
|Sl. No.||Type of Industry||Number of Units||Employment|
|1||Readymade and Tailoring||483||1093|
|3||Grill and Gates||113||356|
|4||Cement Hollow Bricks||98||387|
|7||Digital Studio and film making||67||108|
Major Industrial Units
- The KINFRA Industrial Park, Kalpetta
- Ashique Chemicals and Cosmetics, Sulthan Bathery
- Panda Foods Pvt. Limited, Krishnagiri, Wayanad